‘Left to move adjournment motion on price rise’
New Delhi: The CPI on Sunday said the Left will
move an adjournment motion in the Winter Session of Parliament
on the price rise issue as it accused the UPA government of
not being able to control double-digit inflation and demanded
deregulation of fuel prices.
After the two-day National Executive meet, CPI General
Secretary A B Bardhan also warned that the party would launch
nationwide protests if a "strong Lokpal" bill is not passed
in the Winter Session beginning Tuesday, but ruled out joining
Anna Hazare`s movement.
"There is a move to bring an adjournment motion in
Parliament on price rise issue. The Left itself will bring the
motion. There is no relief to common man and no steps from the
government despite Parliament passing an unanimous resolution
earlier," he told a press conference here.
He accused the government of doing nothing to bring down
the double-digit inflation, saying the economic situation in
the country was "very serious" despite "comfortable
statements" made by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee on various issues.
"The situation is really serious. The recession is
catching up with us. The manufacturing sector has shown a
growth rate of just one per cent. Perhaps this is the lowest
in few decades. Gone are the days when our finance minister
talked about 8.5 per cent and 9 per cent growth, now the
utmost they expect is 7 per cent," he said.
Opposing the frequent hike in prices of petrol, Bardhan
demanded that the government reverse deregulation and
decontrol of fuel prices in the interests of common people.
On the recent decrease in fuel hike, he said that was an
indication that the prices can be increased anytime in future
citing prices of crude oil in the international market.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya
- Nandita Das is a capable director: Nawazuddin Siddiqui