Left to protest against UPA`s economic policies
New Delhi: Left parties would raise the banner of protest against the UPA government`s `anti-people` economic policies by holding a dharna in the Parliament precincts next week, Left sources said on Thursday.
Parliamentary leaders of CPI-M, CPI, RSP and Forward Bloc met here on Thursday and decided that their MPs would concentrate on raising issues like price rise, unemployment, food security, agrarian crisis, FDI in retail and the general anti-avoidance rules (GAAR) on taxing foreign investments, they said.
The leaders also decided to hold a protest dharna at the main gate of the Parliament House on Tuesday, the sources said.
The meeting was attended among others by Sitaram Yechury, Basudeb Acharia (both CPI-M), D Raja and Gurudas Dasgupta (both CPI).
The four parties recently staged a five-day dharna here on the issue of food security, demanding amendments to the Food Security Bill to include universalisation of public distribution system and ban on futures and forward trading in foodgrains and essential items, among other things.
The CPI-M has been demanding that the government enacts a law to make the right to food a fundamental right in the backdrop of the UN Global Hunger Index, which ranks India 67th among 80 countries which suffer from acute hunger of its people. It has estimated that 25 per cent of the world`s hungry today were Indians.
Besides growing inequalities, Yechury recently said widespread agrarian distress, suicides by farmers and drastic reduction in the per capita availability of foodgrains and pulses show the rise of absolute poverty among certain sections of people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video