`Legacy & sanctions made Rao decide against nuke tests`
Washington: The prospect of a crippling economic sanctions, "improving" electoral chances and his "desire" to be noted as the architect of India`s economic revolution might have prevented the then Prime Minister Narasimha Rao from going for nuclear tests in the winter of 1995-96.
This was the conclusion that the Bill Clinton administration had arrived which for weeks in December and then in January mounted pressure on India by itself and through its allies warning New Delhi against going ahead with nuclear tests in Pokharan, in support of which it provided satellite imageries to the Indian Government.
According to the classified American cables released yesterday by the National Security Archive, which it obtained from the federal government under the freedom of information act, it was by December 10, 1995 that US intelligence agencies informed the Bill Clinton administration about an impending Indian nuclear tests at Pokharan resulting in a flurry of activities by the US.
And it was by January 24, 1996, the Bill Clinton administration concluded that Rao has decided against conducting the nuclear tests.
"Prime Minister Rao probably will not authorise a nuclear test in the near future despite indications that a site in western India is being upgraded for that purpose," a State Department cable concluded on January 24, 1996.
"Though a nuclear test might boost his re-election prospects in April, it would almost certainly provoke international sanctions against India and further jeopardise his government`s economic liberalisation program," the cable said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery