Leh victims yet to get permanent dwelling units
Leh: A month after the devastating
cloudburst in Leh, safe and permanent dwelling units for
victims who have lost their homes are yet to come up.
No permanent structure has been installed for the
homeless so far despite assurances being given by the
authorities that units for the victims will come up before the
advent of winter. Only a sample prefabricated structure has
been constructed so far at Solar colony, Choglamsar, and most
of the victims are still putting up in tents.
In Skurbuchan village, the National Bamboo Application
has constructed four prefabricated bamboo houses for the
victims and they are planning to construct 20 more such units
in the same area.
Chief Executive Councillor of Ladakh Autonomous Hill
Development Council Tsering Dorjay said, "We are now not
constructing houses for the victims."
"Instead, we are giving Rs 2 lakh to those whose houses
were completely damaged and Rs 1 lakh to people whose houses
were partially damaged," he said.
Apart from this, the government will give subsidy on
timber and will make available all the construction materials
for them, Dorje said.
The authorities are now planning to shift the victims who
are presently putting up in tents to government buildings like
schools and other such buildings so that they could protect
themselves during winter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’