Leh victims yet to get permanent dwelling units
Leh: A month after the devastating
cloudburst in Leh, safe and permanent dwelling units for
victims who have lost their homes are yet to come up.
No permanent structure has been installed for the
homeless so far despite assurances being given by the
authorities that units for the victims will come up before the
advent of winter. Only a sample prefabricated structure has
been constructed so far at Solar colony, Choglamsar, and most
of the victims are still putting up in tents.
In Skurbuchan village, the National Bamboo Application
has constructed four prefabricated bamboo houses for the
victims and they are planning to construct 20 more such units
in the same area.
Chief Executive Councillor of Ladakh Autonomous Hill
Development Council Tsering Dorjay said, "We are now not
constructing houses for the victims."
"Instead, we are giving Rs 2 lakh to those whose houses
were completely damaged and Rs 1 lakh to people whose houses
were partially damaged," he said.
Apart from this, the government will give subsidy on
timber and will make available all the construction materials
for them, Dorje said.
The authorities are now planning to shift the victims who
are presently putting up in tents to government buildings like
schools and other such buildings so that they could protect
themselves during winter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi