LeT bomb expert Tunda seeks bail in 1997 blasts case
New Delhi: Top Lashkar-e-Toiba bomb expert Abdul Karim Tunda, one of the 20 terrorists India had asked Pakistan to hand over after 26/11 terror attacks, on Tuesday moved a Delhi court seeking bail in the 1997 Sadar Bazar blasts case.
Tunda, against whom a supplementary charge sheet was recently filed by the special cell of Delhi Police in connection with the case, moved the bail plea which will come up for hearing before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Amit Bansal on December 20.
In his plea filed through advocate M S Khan, Tunda, who was arrested from Indo-Nepal border on August 16 this year, said he has been chargesheeted by the police only on the basis of "disclosure statements" made by two accused persons, who were arrested earlier in connection with the case.
Tunda was chargesheeted for offences under sections 324 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapon), 307 (attempt to murder) and 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC and the police had claimed that he was part of the conspiracy which led to two bomb blasts, one in Sadar Bazar and other in Qutab Road here, on October 1, 1997 in which several people were injured.
Earlier two persons -- Mohd Shakil alias Hamza and Mohd Amir, were arrested in the case but Shakil was discharged by the court on April 17, 1999 while Amir was acquitted in the case on April 26, 2001.
In his bail plea, 72-year-old Tunda said "the only material on the basis of which the applicant (Tunda) was arrested and being prosecuted is the disclosure statements of the above two persons (Shakil and Amir) as well as of the applicant accused."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!