LeT bomb expert Tunda undergoes pacemaker implant surgery at AIIMS
New Delhi: Lashker-e-Toiba (LeT) operative Abdul Karim Tunda, who is admitted at AIIMS here, on Saturday underwent a surgery to implant a pacemaker in his heart.
70-year-old Tunda, who was admitted to Safdarjung Hospital Thursday night after he complained of severe chest pain and shifted to All India Institute of Medical Sciences yesterday afternoon, was detected with complete heart block, hospital sources said.
His condition was stated to be stable after the surgery.
"Tunda was taken to the cath lab at around 2.45 PM today from the cardiac care unit following which the doctors implanted a pacemaker in his heart," they said.
He underwent the procedure in the supervision of cardio consultants Dr Nitish Naik and Dr Gautam Sharma.
A pacemaker is a small device implanted in the patient to control heartbeat.
Complete heart block occurs when the electrical signal can`t pass normally from the atria, the heart`s upper chambers, to the ventricles or lower chambers.
A heavy contingent of armed police guards were deployed outside the ward where Tunda is being treated.
Earlier during the day today, a magistrate visited Tunda in hospital and remanded him in judicial custody till September 7.
Tunda, who was arrested from the Indo-Nepal border last Friday, is a close aide of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and one of 20 terrorists India had asked the Pakistan government to hand over after the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks. He is suspected to be involved in 40 bombings in the country and is the first in the list to be arrested.
According to Delhi Police, he is wanted for his role in 1993 Mumbai serial train blasts, Delhi bomb blasts of 1997-98 and serial bombings in the state of UP and also at Panipat, Sonepat, Ludhiana and Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks