LeT militant killed in Kashmir gunbattle
Jammu: One militant of Lashkar-e-Taiba was killed in a gunbattle with security forces in Kishtwar district`s Keshwan area in Jammu and Kashmir this morning, police officials said.
Acting on specific inputs by intelligence agencies, a combined team of army and police launched a cordon and search operation in Keshwan forest area, about 290 km from here,
during pre-dawn hours, they said.
During the search operation, militants fired on the security team, which also retaliated, the officials said adding that a LeT militant later identified as Mohd Yusuf alias Abu Salim was killed.
The encounter was going on in the area when reports last came in.
In another encounter yesterday in Mohore area of Reasi district, two holed-up militants managed to escape from the cordon of army and police, the officials said.
The forces have launched a seek and destroy operation to track down the escaped militants, they added.
On Tuesday night, one militant and an army personnel along with a civilian were killed in another gun battle in the area.
As many as 10 militants were killed in Mohore belt in four different encounters during the last fortnight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi