`Let Pak know we are strong enough to defend our borders`
Bangalore: Former external affairs minister SM Krishna on Thursday dismissed all allegations of the UPA Government being soft when it comes to dealing with Pakistan, especially when Indian Army soldiers are attacked or killed, and added that New Delhi has always been serious about safeguarding national interests.
“This is the most preposterous allegation that anyone could make. The UPA Government has always been serious about safeguarding the interest of our country and of our borders. We did try to extend our hands of friendship with Pakistan and if it doesn’t substantially come forward then let them know that we are strong enough to defend our borders,” he told media here on Thursday.
Five soldiers were killed by Pakistan Special Forces at the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir`s Poonch District on July 6.
Earlier in the day, making a fresh and dramatic statement in the Lok Sabha, Defence Minister AK Antony accepted and acknowledged after being briefed by the Chief of Army Staff, General Bikram Singh, that Specialist Forces of the Pakistan Army were involved in the ambushed attack on six Indian Army soldiers on Tuesday morning in Jammu and Kashmir`s Poonch District, leading to the death of five of them.
"It is now clear that Specialist Forces of the Pakistan army were involved in the attack. Those in Pakistan who are responsible for this tragedy, should not go unpunished. Our restraint should not be taken for granted," said Antony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof