LeT plan to bomb Delhi foiled: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday claimed that a major terror network of Pakistan based Lashker-e-Taiba, planning to carry out attacks in crowded places of Delhi, has been busted and two of its cadres arrested.
The two have been apprehended from the national capital and it is a "very important breakthrough", Chidambaram told reporters during a press conference.
"There was no VVIP on their target," Chidambaram said adding, “They were planning to detonate a bomb or more than one bomb in crowded localities."
He, however, refused to divulge more details in this regards.
Some more people have been detained in this connection and they would be produced before local courts in due course of time, he said.
The Home Minister congratulated central agencies and police of the three states involved in the successful operation.
Meanwhile, the two LeT militants identified as Ethisham and Shafaqat, were produced before the Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate, who remanded them to 10-day police custody.
Both the accused were produced by the Special Cell of the Delhi police before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Smita Garg who gave the direction during an in-chamber
Acting on an intelligence tip-off, Delhi Police in close coordination with Jammu and Kashmir Police and Jharkhand police nabbed the duo when they were planning to carry out the attacks at more than one place in the national capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed