LeT threatens to strike at Vaishno Devi
Jammu: An email threatening to target the cave shrine of Vaishno Devi was purportedly sent by the banned terror outfit Lashker-e-Toiba to a hotelier in Katra to avenge the execution of 26/11 terror attack convict Ajmal Kasab, police said Monday.
The email was received by A H Bhat, a hotelier of Devi Grand hotel, on November 24 threatening to target the shrine to avenge the hanging of Kasab, a senior police officer said tonight.
"Investigation is going on...We cannot rule out either of the two angles to it, one hoax, the other threat from the terror outfit," the officer said.
"We cannot deliberate on the issue further since preliminary investigation into the matter is going on," he added.
Police have seized the computer and other equipments on which the email had been sent.
Efforts are on to decode the email, police said.
DIG, Udhampur-Reasi, Jagjeet Kumar and other senior officials of central agencies visited Katra and reviewed the security arrangements there.
Meanwhile, an alert has been sounded in the region with additional security being being put in place.
Police have intensified frisking people, checking of vehicles and keeping an eye on suspected movements.
The email could be a prank by some anti-national elements but no chances can be taken, the senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand