Letters rogatory issued for quizzing Headley, Rana
Mumbai: Over a year after the NIA got access
to 26/11 conspirator David Headley, a metropolitan court has
issued letters rogatory to a US court requesting it to enable
the Mumbai police to question him and his alleged accomplice
Tahawwur Rana in the Mumbai attack case.
"The 37th metropolitan magistrate`s court signed the
letters rogatory (LR) on Monday that would be sent to a US
court to examine Headley and Rana in connection with 26/11
case," Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Himanshu Roy said.
Letters rogatory is a formal request by a court in one
country to another seeking judicial assistance.
The LR will be sent through Home Ministry and Ministry of
External Affairs, said another crime branch official, adding,
"We hope that the US court accepts the LR and permits us to
interrogate Headley and Rana, which will enable us to know
about the local links of the two here in Mumbai."
A team of NIA officials questioned Headley face-to-face
for a week in June last year to elicit information about his
role in Mumbai attacks, the wider conspiracy and those
involved in the carnage.
However, to protect the confidentiality of investigations
being carried out by both India and the US, the two countries
did not to disclose the contents of the interviews.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly