Li Keqiang`s visit: Tibetans bodies threaten protest, security stepped up
New Delhi: Tibetan organisations on Sunday said they would stage protests in the next two days against the visit of Chinese Premier Li Keqiang even as police stepped up security in the city for the leader`s arrival.
A large number of personnel were deployed at Chinese embassy and the hotel where the Premier is staying and traffic diversions enforced in several places.
Four Metro stations near possible protest locations will also be closed for public from 8 AM to 10 AM on Monday.
Traffic diversions will remain in place till Tuesday afternoon, police said.
Due to VVIP movement across the city, the carriageways of Sardar Patel Marg will remain closed from Panchsheel Marg up to Dhaula Kuan till Tuesday afternoon. No traffic will be allowed on this stretch, police said.
However, Ring Road and Vandematram Marg will remain open for all types of traffic, including buses.
During the period, traffic police will ensure unhindered movement on certain routes from different portions of the city. These corridors will include -? Ring Road from Dhaula Kuan to AIIMS, Aurobindo Marg, Lodhi Road, Mathura Road, Purana Qila Road, C-Hexagon, Ashok Road, Baba Kharak Singh Marg, Park Street, roundabout Shankar Road, Upper Ridge Road upto Dhaula Kuan.
"Those who want continuous movement can use this corridor to travel from one portion of the city to any other portion of the city," a police spokesperson said.
Bonafied residents, office goers and visitors at SPM, Army Battle Honours Marg, Abhai Marg and Manas Marg will be allowed after due verification.
Due to VVIP movement tomorrow, traffic police has advised people to avoid areas including C-Hexagon, Ring Road and Mathura Road between 08.30 AM to 10.30 AM. C-Hexagon shall be affected from 10.00 AM to 3.00 PM.
Delhi Metro has decided to close Metro station at Race Course Road for two hours in the evening, besides shutting four others on Monday.
Race Course Metro station near PM`s residence will remain closed for public from 7 PM to 9 PM as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be hosting a dinner for Premier Li.
"Race Course Metro station will remain closed for public from 7 PM to 9 PM today as advised by police for security reasons due to Chinese Prime Minister`s presence," a DMRC spokesperson said.
Four more metro stations will be shut for public tomorrow from 8 AM to 10 AM.
"As per advisory from Delhi Police Racecourse, Udyog Bhawan, Central Secretariat and Khan market stations will remain closed from 8 AM to 10 AM on May 20.
At Central Secretariat station, interchange will be available, a DMRC spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez