Li Keqiang`s visit: Tibetans bodies threaten protest, security stepped up
New Delhi: Tibetan organisations on Sunday said they would stage protests in the next two days against the visit of Chinese Premier Li Keqiang even as police stepped up security in the city for the leader`s arrival.
A large number of personnel were deployed at Chinese embassy and the hotel where the Premier is staying and traffic diversions enforced in several places.
Four Metro stations near possible protest locations will also be closed for public from 8 AM to 10 AM on Monday.
Traffic diversions will remain in place till Tuesday afternoon, police said.
Due to VVIP movement across the city, the carriageways of Sardar Patel Marg will remain closed from Panchsheel Marg up to Dhaula Kuan till Tuesday afternoon. No traffic will be allowed on this stretch, police said.
However, Ring Road and Vandematram Marg will remain open for all types of traffic, including buses.
During the period, traffic police will ensure unhindered movement on certain routes from different portions of the city. These corridors will include -? Ring Road from Dhaula Kuan to AIIMS, Aurobindo Marg, Lodhi Road, Mathura Road, Purana Qila Road, C-Hexagon, Ashok Road, Baba Kharak Singh Marg, Park Street, roundabout Shankar Road, Upper Ridge Road upto Dhaula Kuan.
"Those who want continuous movement can use this corridor to travel from one portion of the city to any other portion of the city," a police spokesperson said.
Bonafied residents, office goers and visitors at SPM, Army Battle Honours Marg, Abhai Marg and Manas Marg will be allowed after due verification.
Due to VVIP movement tomorrow, traffic police has advised people to avoid areas including C-Hexagon, Ring Road and Mathura Road between 08.30 AM to 10.30 AM. C-Hexagon shall be affected from 10.00 AM to 3.00 PM.
Delhi Metro has decided to close Metro station at Race Course Road for two hours in the evening, besides shutting four others on Monday.
Race Course Metro station near PM`s residence will remain closed for public from 7 PM to 9 PM as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be hosting a dinner for Premier Li.
"Race Course Metro station will remain closed for public from 7 PM to 9 PM today as advised by police for security reasons due to Chinese Prime Minister`s presence," a DMRC spokesperson said.
Four more metro stations will be shut for public tomorrow from 8 AM to 10 AM.
"As per advisory from Delhi Police Racecourse, Udyog Bhawan, Central Secretariat and Khan market stations will remain closed from 8 AM to 10 AM on May 20.
At Central Secretariat station, interchange will be available, a DMRC spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India