Li Keqiang`s visit: Tibetans bodies threaten protest, security stepped up
New Delhi: Tibetan organisations on Sunday said they would stage protests in the next two days against the visit of Chinese Premier Li Keqiang even as police stepped up security in the city for the leader`s arrival.
A large number of personnel were deployed at Chinese embassy and the hotel where the Premier is staying and traffic diversions enforced in several places.
Four Metro stations near possible protest locations will also be closed for public from 8 AM to 10 AM on Monday.
Traffic diversions will remain in place till Tuesday afternoon, police said.
Due to VVIP movement across the city, the carriageways of Sardar Patel Marg will remain closed from Panchsheel Marg up to Dhaula Kuan till Tuesday afternoon. No traffic will be allowed on this stretch, police said.
However, Ring Road and Vandematram Marg will remain open for all types of traffic, including buses.
During the period, traffic police will ensure unhindered movement on certain routes from different portions of the city. These corridors will include -? Ring Road from Dhaula Kuan to AIIMS, Aurobindo Marg, Lodhi Road, Mathura Road, Purana Qila Road, C-Hexagon, Ashok Road, Baba Kharak Singh Marg, Park Street, roundabout Shankar Road, Upper Ridge Road upto Dhaula Kuan.
"Those who want continuous movement can use this corridor to travel from one portion of the city to any other portion of the city," a police spokesperson said.
Bonafied residents, office goers and visitors at SPM, Army Battle Honours Marg, Abhai Marg and Manas Marg will be allowed after due verification.
Due to VVIP movement tomorrow, traffic police has advised people to avoid areas including C-Hexagon, Ring Road and Mathura Road between 08.30 AM to 10.30 AM. C-Hexagon shall be affected from 10.00 AM to 3.00 PM.
Delhi Metro has decided to close Metro station at Race Course Road for two hours in the evening, besides shutting four others on Monday.
Race Course Metro station near PM`s residence will remain closed for public from 7 PM to 9 PM as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be hosting a dinner for Premier Li.
"Race Course Metro station will remain closed for public from 7 PM to 9 PM today as advised by police for security reasons due to Chinese Prime Minister`s presence," a DMRC spokesperson said.
Four more metro stations will be shut for public tomorrow from 8 AM to 10 AM.
"As per advisory from Delhi Police Racecourse, Udyog Bhawan, Central Secretariat and Khan market stations will remain closed from 8 AM to 10 AM on May 20.
At Central Secretariat station, interchange will be available, a DMRC spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi