Liberhan Commission report had lost its value: Karat
Bangalore: Terming the Liberhan Commission report as a delayed one that had lost its value, CPI-M General Secretary Prakash Karat today alleged that it failed to indict the P V Narasimha Rao government, which he held "equally responsible" for the Babri Masjid demolition.
The Liberhan report had lost its value since it had been delayed for a long time and "also failed to come out with the punishment" to the perpetrators, Karat told reporters here.
He alleged that though the report named 68 persons, including leaders of BJP, VHP, Bajrang Dal and RSS, it failed to indict the P V Narasimha Rao government which was "equally responsible" for the Masjid demolition.
Addressing a rally organised by CPI-M, CPI and Forward Bloc on price rise earlier, he flayed the UPA government for its "wrong policies", which, he alleged, resulted in "skyrocketing" prices of essential commodities, causing hardship to the common man and the poor.
Karat demanded that the Centre reintroduce universal ration card system which was prevalent in 1992 as under the present BPL card system, those who were eligible were not getting the benefits.
He also asked the Centre to abolish future trading on essential commodities, saying that rise in prices was "not because of shortage but due to speculation indulged in future trading".
The Centre should take steps to expand Public Distribution System and introduce a legislation on Food Security, proposed by the Vajpayee government, Karat said.
Taking strong exception to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s reported statement, during his US tour, inviting FDI in insurance and mining sectors, Karat said "illegal mining is already thriving. The country should nationalise mining to protect country`s natural wealth".
He demanded that Karnataka government reduce the price of rice supplied under BPL card to Rs 2 as against Rs 3, on the lines of Andhra Pradesh government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?