Life hit as 48-hour Telangana bandh begins
Hyderabad: Normal life came to a standstill in parts of Andhra Pradesh Tuesday as a 48-hour shutdown began to demand a bill in parliament for the formation of a separate Telangana state.
Transport services in Hyderabad and nine other districts of the Telangana region were paralysed while shops, business establishments and educational institutions remained closed.
Buses of state-owned Road Transport Corporation (RTC) could not come out of the depots since early Tuesday as the shutdown called by Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) evoked a total response across the region.
The Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS), Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and other pro-Telangana parties and groups are participating in the strike while the Communist Party of India (CPI) is backing it.
TRS activists took out rallies in different parts of Medak, Nizamabad, Warangal and Karimnagar districts to force the closure of shops.
Police arrested TRS legislator Harish Rao in Secunderbad when he was leading a
The shutdown call evoked partial response in Hyderabad. While RTC suspended all its services to different parts of Telangana and also to Andhra and Rayalaseema regions, it was plying few services in the city.
Educational institutions in the state capital declared a holiday as a precautionary measure. Shops and business establishments were closed in some areas while the shutdown had not much impact in other areas.
The coal production in state-owned Singareni Collieries Company came to a halt as about 70,000 employees joined the Telangana strike. The production in the coal mines spread over four districts of Adilabad, Khammam, Karimnagar and Warangal was affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'