Life hit as 48-hour Telangana bandh begins
Hyderabad: Normal life came to a standstill in parts of Andhra Pradesh Tuesday as a 48-hour shutdown began to demand a bill in parliament for the formation of a separate Telangana state.
Transport services in Hyderabad and nine other districts of the Telangana region were paralysed while shops, business establishments and educational institutions remained closed.
Buses of state-owned Road Transport Corporation (RTC) could not come out of the depots since early Tuesday as the shutdown called by Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) evoked a total response across the region.
The Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS), Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and other pro-Telangana parties and groups are participating in the strike while the Communist Party of India (CPI) is backing it.
TRS activists took out rallies in different parts of Medak, Nizamabad, Warangal and Karimnagar districts to force the closure of shops.
Police arrested TRS legislator Harish Rao in Secunderbad when he was leading a
The shutdown call evoked partial response in Hyderabad. While RTC suspended all its services to different parts of Telangana and also to Andhra and Rayalaseema regions, it was plying few services in the city.
Educational institutions in the state capital declared a holiday as a precautionary measure. Shops and business establishments were closed in some areas while the shutdown had not much impact in other areas.
The coal production in state-owned Singareni Collieries Company came to a halt as about 70,000 employees joined the Telangana strike. The production in the coal mines spread over four districts of Adilabad, Khammam, Karimnagar and Warangal was affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read