Life term for NRI who killed with poison curry in UK
London: Lakhvir Singh, the Southhall-based
Indian-origin woman who killed her lover out of jealousy by
poisoning his curry with aconite, was on Thursday sentenced to life
Singh poisoned the curry that was later consumed by
Lakhvinder Cheema, 39, who died hours after eating the meal in
Her life sentence was pronounced at the Old Bailey and
she must serve a minimum of 23 years.
Sentencing her, Judge Paul Worsley said: "You set about a
cold and calculating revenge. You were not just a spurned
lover, you did not simply explode in anger at your rejection".
Singh, however, was cleared of attempting to murder
Gurjeet Choongh, Cheema`s fiancee.
Cheema and Choongh were due to be married on Valentine`s
Day in 2009.
The jury was told that Singh could not bear the thought
of her lover`s marriage to 22-year-old Miss Choongh and laced
the food with Indian aconite, known as the Queen of Poisons.
After the engagement of Cheema and Choongh became final
in November 2008, Singh went to India and returned three weeks
Another week later, Cheema was taken to hospital.
Choongh gave evidence during the trial detailing how the
couple fell ill while discussing their wedding plans.
Choongh survived because she had consumed less of the
She said in a victim impact statement she still suffers
the stress of having been close to death.
"I still do not feel fully recovered and I believe it
will affect me for the rest of my life," she said.
Edward Brown, prosecuting lawyer, said, "Perhaps
jealousy, anger and revenge all playing their part, Lakhvir
Singh decided to poison them using an extremely toxic and
deadly poison, possibly brought especially from India."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak