Light showers drench parts of North India, heat wave eases
New Delhi: Light showers in many stretches of the Northern plains on Monday brought reprieve from the month-long stifling hot spell, even as some states continued to simmer at temperatures above normal.
Delhi woke up to a pleasant morning as the capital received a spell of light rains, bringing down the maximum temperature from yesterday`s 43.6 degrees Celsius to 37.2 degrees Celsius.
The minimum temperature, too, fell from from yesterday`s 32.7 degrees to settle at 28.2 degrees Celsius.
The searing heat wave ebbed in Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh as well, with light rains at many places pushing down temperatures by up to six notches.
Chandigarh saw an overcast sky and some parts witnessed a drizzle, forcing down the maximum temperature by four notches since yesterday to settle at 37.8 degrees Celsius, the MeT office said.
Ambala (38.5 deg C), Rohtak (37.9 deg C) and Gurgaon (38 deg C) in Haryana, which received light showers, registered below normal minimums.
In Punjab, Amritsar recorded a high of 40.6 degrees Celsius, five notches down since yesterday, while Ludhiana and Patiala recorded maximums of 37.4 degrees and 37 degrees Celsius respectively.
However, there was no respite from the searing heat for the desert state of Rajasthan, with Churu recording the highest maximum at 44.6 degrees Celsius.
Churu was followed by Sriganganagar, where the day temperature was 44.4 degrees Celsius, the MeT office said.
Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Jaipur and Kota recorded maximums of 43, 42.3, 41.3 and 41.2 degrees Celsius respectively, while other places recorded maximum temperatures between 39 degrees and 40.2 degree Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far