Light showers drench parts of North India, heat wave eases
New Delhi: Light showers in many stretches of the Northern plains on Monday brought reprieve from the month-long stifling hot spell, even as some states continued to simmer at temperatures above normal.
Delhi woke up to a pleasant morning as the capital received a spell of light rains, bringing down the maximum temperature from yesterday`s 43.6 degrees Celsius to 37.2 degrees Celsius.
The minimum temperature, too, fell from from yesterday`s 32.7 degrees to settle at 28.2 degrees Celsius.
The searing heat wave ebbed in Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh as well, with light rains at many places pushing down temperatures by up to six notches.
Chandigarh saw an overcast sky and some parts witnessed a drizzle, forcing down the maximum temperature by four notches since yesterday to settle at 37.8 degrees Celsius, the MeT office said.
Ambala (38.5 deg C), Rohtak (37.9 deg C) and Gurgaon (38 deg C) in Haryana, which received light showers, registered below normal minimums.
In Punjab, Amritsar recorded a high of 40.6 degrees Celsius, five notches down since yesterday, while Ludhiana and Patiala recorded maximums of 37.4 degrees and 37 degrees Celsius respectively.
However, there was no respite from the searing heat for the desert state of Rajasthan, with Churu recording the highest maximum at 44.6 degrees Celsius.
Churu was followed by Sriganganagar, where the day temperature was 44.4 degrees Celsius, the MeT office said.
Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Jaipur and Kota recorded maximums of 43, 42.3, 41.3 and 41.2 degrees Celsius respectively, while other places recorded maximum temperatures between 39 degrees and 40.2 degree Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what