Link between Somalian pirates, Pak terror groups under scanner
New Delhi: Security agencies are probing any
possible link between Somalian pirates and Pakistan-based
Somalian pirates were now operating eastwards from their
country and moving towards India and posed a threat to all
merchant vessels passing through the high seas between India
and the Maldives, Indian Coast Guard Director General Vice
Admiral Anil Chopra said here.
"When piracy is (happening) so close to India, there would
be speculation about any such linkages (between them and
Pakistan-based groups). Intelligence agencies are
investigating all those captured to establish if there is any
connection between them," he told reporters.
The ICG chief was asked if the security agencies had found
any link between pirates apprehended near Lakshadweep and
terror groups operating from Pakistan.
Last month also, the ICG had apprehended a boat with 15
Pakistanis and five Iranians. The 15 pirates apprehended from
Lakshadweep on January 28 are also being interrogated for
these suspected links by agencies in Mumbai.
Due to increased presence of navies from around the world
in the Gulf Of Aden, Chopra said pirates have extended their
area of operation and have started moving eastwards.
"The only place from Africa in that direction is India
and the most western part of India is Lakshadweep. They don`t
pose any threat to India in particular but against all
merchant ships of all nations," he added.
The ICG chief said to thwart any piracy attempts, the
Coast Guard along with the Navy has launched the Operation
Island Watch along the Lakshadweep Islands.
As part of these operations last week, a Naval Fast Attack
Craft (FAC) sunk a pirate mothership named `Prantalay` 75
miles off Lakshadweep saving the 20-member crew of the
hijacked vessel on-board and arrested 15 pirates from it.
In the recent past, activities of pirates around
Lakshadweep have increased and they were also successful in
hijacking a Bangladeshi-flagged merchant vessel about 90
nautical miles off Kochi and 80 nautical miles off Minicoy.
As part of its efforts to counter piracy and enhance
coastal security, a Coast Guard district headquarters was
commissioned in Kavaratti along with a station in Minicoy,
both in the Lakshadweep Islands, last month.
Due to this spurt in pirate activity, the Navy had
deployed its warships along with Coast Guard vessels in the
central Arabian sea.
India has also been deploying its frigates and destroyers
in the Gulf of Aden since November 2008 and maintains its
presence in the troubled waters since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt