Liyaqat was not going to surrender in Kashmir: Delhi Police
New Delhi: Suspected Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Sayyed Liyaqat Shah, arrested for allegedly planning a suicide attack here, was not going to surrender under the Jammu and Kashmir government`s rehabilitation policy, the Delhi Police said Saturday.
Denying reports that Shah, 47, was going to surrender himself in Jammu and Kashmir, a senior Delhi Police officer clarified that he was to stage a suicide attack here very soon, not return to Kashmir.
"Shah was deputed for a `fidayeen` (suicide) attack here in the capital. He was not going to take part in the J&K rehabilitation policy for surrendered militants," said Special Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) S.N. Srivastava.
Shah`s wife Ameena Begum told IANS that her husband was returning home under the state government`s rehabilitation policy via Nepal after the authorities granted him his request to take advantage of the policy.
Shah, a resident of Dardpora village in Kashmir`s Kupwara district, was arrested from Uttar Pradesh`s Gorakhpur March 20 when he entered India through Sunauli border check post of Kathmandu where he flown in through Karachi.
Police Friday claimed to have averted a `fidayeen` terror attack in the capital with his arrest. A court has sent him in 15 days` police remand.
Going by his confession, police were able to recover an AK-56 assault rifle, three hand grenades, two magazines -- each carrying 30 rounds, 220 grams of explosives, a Delhi map and a memory card from one of the rooms of a hotel in Jama Masjid area in Delhi on the intervening night of March 21-22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened