LJP`s move indicates groundswell in favour of BJP: Jaitley
New Delhi: BJP on Friday said the decision of Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) to be a part of NDA indicates the groundswell in support of the alliance and claimed that electoral tie-ups in several states is in the offing.
Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley also said that there are chances of more alliances before or after the general elections, going by the growing strength of the alliance.
"A large number of political leaders, eminent citizens and political groups are extending support to BJP either by coming to the party or aligning with the NDA. The groundswell in support of the BJP/NDA and Narendra Modi is clearly visible...
"What is significant on Friday is a combination of popular support, increasing number of allies and the social character of the expanding alliance. All this signals a new change," he said.
Jaitley said when certain political groups identify themselves with NDA, their areas of influence may be confined to a particular state, but their joining sends a larger political signal.
The BJP leader said a strong BJP has the capacity to attract more friends and allies and the groundswell of this support is visible in the BJP rallies, which is a "game changer".
"It sends a message loud and clear of which way the wind is blowing," he said.
Jaitley said those who had left the BJP in states like Gujarat and Karnataka have all returned adding to the strength of the party and it has significant allies in states like Punjab, Haryana, Maharashtra, Bihar and Tamil Nadu.
"There are several states in which electoral tie-ups before the elections or political tie-ups after the elections are both possible and probable," he said.
He said he had strongly believed that a strong BJP will lead to a stronger NDA and a lesson in strengthening the alliance can be taken from former Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee`s book.
"A three-party NDA in 1996 became a 24-party NDA in 1998. To attract regional allies, one has to accept and respect India`s federal and diverse character," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy