LK Advani may have been tougher opponent than Narendra Modi: Shantaram Naik
Panaji: The Congress would have found a "sober" LK Advani a much tougher poll rival than a "despotic" Narendra Modi, Congress Rajya Sabha member from Goa Shantaram Naik said here Monday.
Addressing a press conference at the Congress headquarters in Panaji, Naik said: "A sober Advani would have been a lot more tougher as an opponent than a fascist Modi."
Naik`s comments come at a time when Advani, who objected to the Gujarat chief minister`s appointment as the party`s prime ministerial candidate last week, Monday praised Modi openly for his governance skills.
"By making Modi the prime ministerial candidate, the BJP has given the Congress an easy win. If they had named Advani, we would have had to give it some thought," Naik said.
Naik also said that the open involvement of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) in the internal affairs of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) proved that the saffron party was controlled by the Sangh parivar.
"It is so much in the open. The BJP is openly paralysed by the RSS. All their functioning and decisions are a result of RSS thinking," Naik said, calling the RSS a fascist organisation.
Naik also said that the presence of former army chief General VK Singh on the dais with Modi at the ex-servicemen`s rally at Rewari in Haryana suggested that Gen. Singh, who once backed Anna Hazare, has ditched the Gandhian crusader.
"Singh`s presence next to Modi means he has deserted Anna Hazare, perhaps because Anna Hazare was not interested in politics, but the former army general is," Naik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad