LK Advani meets RSS chief, discusses Narendra Modi
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader LK Advani on Thursday met RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat at the Sangh founthead office here to discuss the recent developments in the party, including the elevation of Narendra Modi as Election Campaign Committee head and JD(U)`s decision to quit the NDA.
The meeting between Advani and Bhagwat, which lasted 75 minutes, was the first after the former had quit all party posts on June 10, upset over the elevation of Modi at the Goa conclave of the BJP.
Advani had, however, cited the manner in which BJP was functioning as the reason for his decision. He had said he finds it difficult to reconcile with this and said most leaders of the party are now concerned just with their personal agenda.
He had withdrawn his resignation on June 11 after Bhagwat talked to him over phone and convinced him that all the concerns raised by him would be looked into by the party.
Sources said all these issues were discussed between Advani and Bhagwat. Advani is also reportedly opposed to RSS joint general secretary Suresh Soni and BJP general secretary (Organisation) Ram Lal, who is the Sangh`s pointsman in the party, and wants their removal.
It is, however, not clear to what extent Advani`s grievances will be redressed.
Advani was scheduled to meet Bhagwat yesterday but the meeting was postponed as the BJP leader was indisposed.
Modi`s elevation was done with the consent of the RSS and it is firm that there will be no going back on the issue.
Advani has reasoned that Modi`s new appointment will scare away allies and weaken the NDA coalition. After JD(U) walked out of the NDA over Modi`s elevation, Advani`s contention has got further strengthened.
Modi had met Advani here on June 18 in a bid to mollify him. The 45-minute meeting between them was described as "good" with sources saying it ended on a "positive note".
Ironically, Advani has taken his grievances related to party affairs to the RSS though he has always been known to be against the micro-management of the BJP by the Sangh founthead.
Former BJP president M Venkaiah Naidu met Bhagwat before Advani.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed