LK Advani, Sushma Swaraj skip BJP rally
Mumbai: All is surely not well in the Bhartiya Janata Party. Despite a new found bonhomie between Narendra Modi and Nitin Gadkari, differences in the BJP seems to be far from over with senior leaders LK Advani and Sushama Swaraj staying away from the BJP rally on Friday in which an attempt was made to showcase the saffron party as an alternative to the Congress at the Centre in 2014.
"Advani`s schedule was fixed earlier and Swaraj has to attend a programme in Ghaziabad tomorrow morning," party spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman had said earlier downplaying their absence at the rally.
It has been speculated that LK Advani is reportedly missed at Nitin Gadkari being given a second term as BJP president. The party patriarch is also said to be upset with the increasing interference of the RSS in the affairs of the BJP. The coming together of Gadkari and Gujarat Chief Minister is also said to have created fissures in the saffron party. However, Advani has maintained a studied silence on the whole matter and has refused to comment. As per a TV channel he said that he did not want to be drawn in the controversy.
Interestingly, Advani was not present yesterday at the National Executive when the resolution to amend the party constitution to allow a second term to Gadkari was passed. Party leaders said that the BJP veteran had gone to meet an ailing relative in the city.
The move also paved the way for an amendment of the BJP constitution so as to allow a second term for Nitin Gadkari as party president.
The party with a difference which is eyeing the 2014 General Elections to come back to power at the Centre definitely has to sort out its internal problems before it goes all out in the election mode. The infighting in the BJP refuses to go away with BS Yeddyurappa-DV Sadananda Gowda issue in Karnataka and Vasundhara Raj-Gulabchand Kataria matter in Rajasthan being some of the recent headaches for the party.
Gadkari had yesterday appealed for unity and discipline in the organisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"