LK Advani won’t attend Goa meet on Sunday either: BJP
Zee Media Bureau
Panjim: Bharatiya Janata Party’s senior leader LK Advani will not even attend the third and the last day of the party’s National Executive meet on Sunday.
Addressing a press conference, BJP spokesman Prakash Javadekar said, "Advani wanted to attend the meeting, if not today at least tomorrow, but could not because doctors advised him to take rest for another three-four days."
“He (BJP president Rajnath Singh) spoke to him personally and asked him (LK Advani) not to take the strain to attend the meet.”
Javadekar, however, was quick to add that Advani will attend the next BJP meet.
The BJP spokesperson also ruled out the possibility that the senior leader`s absence was due to a rift in the party owing to increasing demands from a section of the party to make Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi the head of the party`s campaign committee for the 2014 General Election.
Javadekar said this was the first time in his political life that Advani had missed an important party conclave. He however said that the absence of Advani, 85, and other senior party leaders "is nothing unusual".
According to sources, a chartered plane was ready to fly the 85-year-old leader to Goa today, but he could not come. Advani`s family informed the party that his health condition ruled out travelling.
Commenting on the reports that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi could be appointed as head of the party`s campaign committee for the 2014 General Elections, Javadekar said: “What announcements are to be made and what not, you will have to wait for it till tomorrow”.
All decisions in the BJP are taken with consensus of leaders, said Javadekar.
Modi has emerged as a strong contender to be the party`s prime ministerial candidate.
Advani had suggested the formation of two campaign committees, one for the upcoming Assembly Elections in five states this year-end, led by Modi, and another for the General Election of 2014.
A final decision on who will spearhead the party`s campaign in the upcoming General Election is expected on Sunday.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Bhagwant Mann video row: LS Speaker seeks report on Parliament security, may summon AAP MP
- My presidency will restore `safety` in US, says Donald Trump in acceptance speech
- Vatican invited to mediate in Venezuela crisis
- Nigeria 'talking to' oil rebels: Buhari
- Muslims have always been a part of America: Obama