LoC firing: Army lodges protest with Pakistan
Jammu: Army on Thursday lodged a strong protest
with their Pakistani counterpart over ceasefire violation
along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir`s Poonch
"We have lodged a strong protest with our Pakistani
counterparts and asked them to refrain from such acts in
future. Such incidents would not be tolerated and will be
forcefully replied to," a senior Army officer said.
He said a hotline contact was made with the Pakistani
authorities by the Army in Poonch and the protest was lodged.
The Army also demanded a Flag Meeting at forward post
along the LoC at the level of Battalion Commanders to discuss
the repeated incidents of ceasefire violations and shelling on
Indian posts by Pakistani troops, he said.
Pakistani troops pounded 10 Indian posts with mortar bombs
and rockets and fired indiscriminately along the LoC in Poonch
and Uri sectors in Jammu and Kashmir yesterday.
On the same day, Pakistani army shelled three Indian
forward posts along LoC in Krishnaghati sub-sector in Poonch
around 1630 hours, Brigadier General Staff (BGS) of 16 Corps
Brig Satesh Dua said.
The Indian troops guarding the LoC retaliated, leading to
heavy exchanges till late in the evening, he said.
Over 20 to 25 mortar bombs and rockets were fired on the
Indian side, however, there were no casualties, Dua said.
According to the Army, the ceasefire violation is a
diversionary tactic to facilitate infiltration of militants
from across the LoC before the onset of winter snow which
blocks the Himalayan mountain passes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Galaxy of leaders to attend Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in; 18 new faces to become ministers
- Jose Mourinho signs Manchester United contract: Reports
- Narendra Modi government is anti-farmer, says Swaraj Abhiyan convener Yogendra Yadav
- PM Narendra Modi to flag off trains to Mizoram, Manipur including Kamakhya-Vaishno Devi Katra weekly train
- EU faces `difficult` talks on Russia sanctions: Germany