Islamabad: Pakistan on Friday summoned the Indian High Commissioner in Islamabad hours after New Delhi objected to the violation of ceasefire by its troops across the LoC in Jammu & Kashmir yesterday.
According to reports, Indian Envoy Sharat Sabharwal was summoned by the Pakistan Foreign Office, which served demarche to him over yesterday's incident along LoC.
The summoning of the Indian envoy comes shortly after Defence Minister AK Antony said that New Delhi is closely monitoring the entire border with Pakistan and expressed concern over repeated ceasefire violations by Pakistan troops in Jammu & Kashmir.
Heavy exchange of fire was reported between the two sides yesterday after Pakistan troops attacked the Indian posts in the Poonch and Mendhar sector in Jammu and Kashmir.
The firing between the two sides lasted for almost 2 hours and Pakistan, later, claimed that one of its soldiers ‘Hawaldar Mohyuddin’ was killed in the retaliatory shelling by the Indian side.
Pakistan also accused the Indian side of provocation, which was categorically rejected by Army Headquarters here.
Army, on its part, said that the Pakistani troops' firing started in the Battal area in Poonch sector at 1630 hours after which Indian troops gave a measured response.
The firing took place in the area guarded by the 13 Rajputana Rifles, whose two soldiers Lance Naiks Sudhakar Singh and Hemraj were killed and their bodies were mutilated by Pakistani troops, it said.
New Delhi also rejected Pakistan's allegations that its Army transgressed the Line of Control (LoC) in Uri sector on Sunday.
Meanwhile, the Army is also planning to seek a flag meeting between the formation commanders of India and Pakistan deployed along the Poonch sector of Line of Control today.
Reacting to the Thursday’s incident, Antony said, “We are closely monitoring the whole development and our people are on alert. Ceasefire violations are a cause of serious concern and we are taking it seriously."
He said that the Director General Military Operations (DGMO) had been directed to be in touch with his Pakistani counterpart, and the government was awaiting the outcome of their talk.
"We will take every step to protect our interests and of our soldiers and the prestige of the Indian armed forces," he said.
The minister's statement came three days after Pakistani troops killed and beheaded two Indian soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir after breaching the Line of Control that divides the region between the two countries.
The beheading of the soldiers -- one of the heads was taken away by the raiders - has caused outrage in India.
With Agency inputs
First Published: Friday, January 11, 2013, 14:13