LoC tensions: `US counselled India, Pakistan`
Islamabad: The US State Department has said the country was involved in "intensive counselling" during the recent crisis along the Line of Control, urging both India and Pakistan to revive direct talks.
Last month, relations between India and Pakistan deteriorated rapidly after clashes along the LoC left several soldiers dead, reports The Dawn. Media reports stated that a Pakistani soldier was killed in a cross-border exchange between the Indian and Pakistani militaries on January 06.
The Indian side claimed it was seeking to thwart an infiltration bid by Pakistan-based militants. On January 08, in another sector of the LoC, two Indian soldiers on routine patrol duty were killed and their bodies brutally mutilated. Last week, Pakistan also submitted a report to the United Nations, detailing how Indians had disfigured Pakistani soldiers in the LoC clashes. However, relations between the two countries have improved since, with both sides restoring people-to-people contacts and cross-border trade.
State Department`s spokesperson Victoria Nuland said the US had played a role in reducing tensions between India and Pakistan during this crisis through US ambassadors in both Delhi and Islamabad. The two ambassadors, she said, had been intensively counselling direct dialogue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'