Local fishermen rescue stranded Lankan fishermen
Kanyakumari (TN): Local fishermen from Vaniyakudi near Colachel in this district rescued four Sri Lankan fishermen, who had been stranded in mid-sea near here for 12 days, police said.
Some Indian fishermen yesterday noticed a fibre glass boat belonging to Sri Lanka about 80 nautical miles from here slowly sinking. They rushed to the spot and rescued four Sri Lankan fishermen from the boat, police said.
They later handed them over to the police.
The Lankan fishermen told the police they had been stranded in mid-sea for 12 days due to engine problem. They had managed to get food from the ships that passed past them. Police said the fishermen would be sent to the Sri Lankan Tamil refugee camp near Thuckalay after an enquiry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand