Local fishermen rescue stranded Lankan fishermen
Kanyakumari (TN): Local fishermen from Vaniyakudi near Colachel in this district rescued four Sri Lankan fishermen, who had been stranded in mid-sea near here for 12 days, police said.
Some Indian fishermen yesterday noticed a fibre glass boat belonging to Sri Lanka about 80 nautical miles from here slowly sinking. They rushed to the spot and rescued four Sri Lankan fishermen from the boat, police said.
They later handed them over to the police.
The Lankan fishermen told the police they had been stranded in mid-sea for 12 days due to engine problem. They had managed to get food from the ships that passed past them. Police said the fishermen would be sent to the Sri Lankan Tamil refugee camp near Thuckalay after an enquiry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India's ''unfinished agenda'' is to retrieve illegally occupied part of J&K: Jitendra Singh
- Skoda Octavia vRS to make its way to India very soon?
- PNB profit more than halves to Rs 306 crore in Q1
- Chennai-bound Oman Air flight makes emergency landing in Goa
- 'Baar Baar Dekho': Sidharth Malhotra-Katrina Kaif's 'Kala Chashma' breaks all records, rejoices 4.3 million views in 1 day!