Logjam continues, Parliament adjourned again
New Delhi: Both houses of Parliament were adjourned were on Tuesday adjourned till tomorrow following protests by Opposition members against the decision to permit foreign investment in retail and Kerala MPs demanding a new dam instead of the Mullaperiyar dam.
As soon as Speaker Meira Kumar tried to initiate Question Hour in the Lok Sabha after an obituary reference and a resolution on World AIDS Day, Opposition members stood up and shouted slogans demanding a rollback of the decision on foreign direct investment in multi-brand and single-brand retail.
Several MPs moved towards the speaker`s podium. MPs from Kerala, belonging to both the Congress and the opposition, held up placards demanding the construction of a new dam in place of the 116-year-old Mullaperiyar dam.
As the ruckus continued, the Speaker adjourned the Lok Sabha till noon. However with the situation not showing sign of improvement after the house reconvened, the house was adjourned till tomorrow.
Similar protests marked the beginning of the day in the Rajya Sabha with Chairman Hamid Ansari adjourning the upper house till 12 noon and later for the day as the clamour over protests on FDI and the Mullaperiyar dam continued.
No substantial business has been done in the Winter Session of the Parliament, which began Nov 22, because of adjournments over price rise, FDI, Telangana and other issues.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another