Logjam continues, Parliament adjourned again
New Delhi: Both houses of Parliament were adjourned were on Tuesday adjourned till tomorrow following protests by Opposition members against the decision to permit foreign investment in retail and Kerala MPs demanding a new dam instead of the Mullaperiyar dam.
As soon as Speaker Meira Kumar tried to initiate Question Hour in the Lok Sabha after an obituary reference and a resolution on World AIDS Day, Opposition members stood up and shouted slogans demanding a rollback of the decision on foreign direct investment in multi-brand and single-brand retail.
Several MPs moved towards the speaker`s podium. MPs from Kerala, belonging to both the Congress and the opposition, held up placards demanding the construction of a new dam in place of the 116-year-old Mullaperiyar dam.
As the ruckus continued, the Speaker adjourned the Lok Sabha till noon. However with the situation not showing sign of improvement after the house reconvened, the house was adjourned till tomorrow.
Similar protests marked the beginning of the day in the Rajya Sabha with Chairman Hamid Ansari adjourning the upper house till 12 noon and later for the day as the clamour over protests on FDI and the Mullaperiyar dam continued.
No substantial business has been done in the Winter Session of the Parliament, which began Nov 22, because of adjournments over price rise, FDI, Telangana and other issues.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon