Lok Sabha adjourned after condoling death of TMC member
New Delhi: Lok Sabha was adjourned today without transacting any business as a mark of respect for Trinamool Congress member Ambika Banerjee who died early this morning.
Banerjee, who was an MP from Howrah, was 84.
As soon as the House met for the day, Speaker Meira Kumar condoled his death.
Banerjee was a member of the West Bengal Assembly five times and was elected to the Lok Sabha in 2009. He was a member of the Standing Committee on Urban Development and Committee on Public Undertakings.
Lok Sabha also condoled the death of former member S Kuppuswamy, who was a DMK MP from Chennai North. He was 86.
The Speaker adjourned the House till tomorrow after members observed silence as a mark of respect to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?