Lok Sabha gives a miss to Women`s quota bill in Budget session
New Delhi: Even though the Rajya Sabha gave a
thumbs up to the Women`s Reservation Bill, the Lok Sabha gave
a miss to the controversial Constitution amendment legislation
in the Budget Session that concluded on Friday.
The government decided against introducing the
much-awaited crucial bill in the Lower House during the Budget
Session in view of strong opposition by some parties.
The bill provides for one-third reservation to women in
the Lok Sabha and Assemblies but some parties like Samajwadi
Party, RJD, BSP and a section of JD(U) are opposed to it in
the present form as they are seeking a quota within quota for
women from backward sections.
The Rajya Sabha passed the bill during the Session in
March but not without a high drama that involved pandemonium
and forcible eviction of at least seven opposing members.
In view of the unprecedented unruly scenes witnessed in
the Rajya Sabha, the government had said it would talk to the
opposing parties in a bid to evolve a consensus before
introducing the bill in the Lok Sabha.
When asked why the bill was not introduced in the Lok
Sabha, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said
today that the process of consultation with political parties
had not been completed.
He said the government is talking to the parties
concerned, keeping its promise on the issue, but discussions
could not proceed further due to heavy business in the Budget
An all-party meeting on April 5 had failed to break the
logjam with the Yadav trio -- Mulayam Singh, Lalu Prasad and
Sharad Yadav -- sticking to their demand for quota within
quota and UPA ally Trinamool Congress joining chorus with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt