Lok Sabha has served as a shock absorber: Pranab
New Delhi: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday described the Lok Sabha as a "great shock absorber" and said the house had been able to resolve many disputes and tensions.
Speaking at the special sitting of the Lok Sabha to mark its 60th anniversary, Mukherjee said many momentous decisions, including redrawing the boundaries of states, were taken in the lower house.
"It has functioned as a great shock absorber," Mukherjee said.
He said disputes and tensions had come to the house and it was able to resolve the problems.
Referring to his own experience in parliamentary politics, stretching over nearly five decades, Mukherjee said he was "not very old" in the Lok Sabha as he had been a member of the Rajya Sabha for many years.
Mukherjee said despite his "limited experience", he was a devoted student of parliamentary practices.
Referring to frequent adjournments of the house, he said disturbance in proceedings impinge on the right of the silent majority.
"Let us try to avoid disruptions," Mukherjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah