Lok Sabha has served as a shock absorber: Pranab
New Delhi: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday described the Lok Sabha as a "great shock absorber" and said the house had been able to resolve many disputes and tensions.
Speaking at the special sitting of the Lok Sabha to mark its 60th anniversary, Mukherjee said many momentous decisions, including redrawing the boundaries of states, were taken in the lower house.
"It has functioned as a great shock absorber," Mukherjee said.
He said disputes and tensions had come to the house and it was able to resolve the problems.
Referring to his own experience in parliamentary politics, stretching over nearly five decades, Mukherjee said he was "not very old" in the Lok Sabha as he had been a member of the Rajya Sabha for many years.
Mukherjee said despite his "limited experience", he was a devoted student of parliamentary practices.
Referring to frequent adjournments of the house, he said disturbance in proceedings impinge on the right of the silent majority.
"Let us try to avoid disruptions," Mukherjee said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!