Lok Sabha has served as a shock absorber: Pranab
New Delhi: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday described the Lok Sabha as a "great shock absorber" and said the house had been able to resolve many disputes and tensions.
Speaking at the special sitting of the Lok Sabha to mark its 60th anniversary, Mukherjee said many momentous decisions, including redrawing the boundaries of states, were taken in the lower house.
"It has functioned as a great shock absorber," Mukherjee said.
He said disputes and tensions had come to the house and it was able to resolve the problems.
Referring to his own experience in parliamentary politics, stretching over nearly five decades, Mukherjee said he was "not very old" in the Lok Sabha as he had been a member of the Rajya Sabha for many years.
Mukherjee said despite his "limited experience", he was a devoted student of parliamentary practices.
Referring to frequent adjournments of the house, he said disturbance in proceedings impinge on the right of the silent majority.
"Let us try to avoid disruptions," Mukherjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test