Lok Sabha has served as a shock absorber: Pranab
New Delhi: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday described the Lok Sabha as a "great shock absorber" and said the house had been able to resolve many disputes and tensions.
Speaking at the special sitting of the Lok Sabha to mark its 60th anniversary, Mukherjee said many momentous decisions, including redrawing the boundaries of states, were taken in the lower house.
"It has functioned as a great shock absorber," Mukherjee said.
He said disputes and tensions had come to the house and it was able to resolve the problems.
Referring to his own experience in parliamentary politics, stretching over nearly five decades, Mukherjee said he was "not very old" in the Lok Sabha as he had been a member of the Rajya Sabha for many years.
Mukherjee said despite his "limited experience", he was a devoted student of parliamentary practices.
Referring to frequent adjournments of the house, he said disturbance in proceedings impinge on the right of the silent majority.
"Let us try to avoid disruptions," Mukherjee said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal