Lok Sabha has served as a shock absorber: Pranab
New Delhi: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday described the Lok Sabha as a "great shock absorber" and said the house had been able to resolve many disputes and tensions.
Speaking at the special sitting of the Lok Sabha to mark its 60th anniversary, Mukherjee said many momentous decisions, including redrawing the boundaries of states, were taken in the lower house.
"It has functioned as a great shock absorber," Mukherjee said.
He said disputes and tensions had come to the house and it was able to resolve the problems.
Referring to his own experience in parliamentary politics, stretching over nearly five decades, Mukherjee said he was "not very old" in the Lok Sabha as he had been a member of the Rajya Sabha for many years.
Mukherjee said despite his "limited experience", he was a devoted student of parliamentary practices.
Referring to frequent adjournments of the house, he said disturbance in proceedings impinge on the right of the silent majority.
"Let us try to avoid disruptions," Mukherjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing