Lok Sabha mourns RSS leader`s death
New Delhi: The Lok Sabha Friday mourned the death of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) ideologue and former MP Nanaji Deshmukh who died Feb 27.
Speaker Meira Kumar described him as an activist and agriculturist who worked for "realisation of the dream of total transformation in villages".
"He founded the Saraswati Shishu Mandir, a chain of pre-primary and primary schools across India, the Deen Dayal Research Institute and the Chitrakoot Gramodaya Vishwavidyalaya in Madhya Pradesh," Meira Kumar said.
Nanaji died at age 94. He was a member of the Lok Sabha from 1977 to 1979 representing Balrampur in Uttar Pradesh. He was nominated to the Rajya Sabha from 1999 to 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown