Lok Sabha nod to AIIMS bill
New Delhi: Amid din over CAG report on coal block allocation issue, the Lok Sabha on Thursday passed a bill that would allow the government to set up AIIMS-like institutes across the country by a notification.
The All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2012, will replace an Ordinance which allowed the six AIIMS-like institutes to become operational from September 15.
The bill also confers powers upon the Centre to establish AIIMS-like institutions by notification in the official gazette.
Arjun Ram Meghwal (BJP) had given notice for a Statutory Resolution to disapprove the AIIMS (Amendment) Ordinance.
However, the resolution could not be taken up as Meghwal was not present.
In an effort to correct the imbalance in availability of affordable healthcare, six AIIMS-like medical institutes were announced for Patna, Bhopal, Raipur, Bhubaneshwar, Jodhpur and Rishikesh.
"The six states in which the institutes were established had requested the central government to make them operational urgently and to commence the academic session in September, 2012," the Statement of Objects and Reasons said.
The proposed measure will also help the Centre change the status of the six new AIIMS registered under the Societies Registration Act to be autonomous body corporate on the lines of the existing AIIMS in Delhi.
According to the Financial Memorandum, an estimated cost of Rs 4,920 crore -- Rs 820 crore per AIIMS -- has been approved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick