Lok Sabha nod to AIIMS bill
New Delhi: Amid din over CAG report on coal block allocation issue, the Lok Sabha on Thursday passed a bill that would allow the government to set up AIIMS-like institutes across the country by a notification.
The All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2012, will replace an Ordinance which allowed the six AIIMS-like institutes to become operational from September 15.
The bill also confers powers upon the Centre to establish AIIMS-like institutions by notification in the official gazette.
Arjun Ram Meghwal (BJP) had given notice for a Statutory Resolution to disapprove the AIIMS (Amendment) Ordinance.
However, the resolution could not be taken up as Meghwal was not present.
In an effort to correct the imbalance in availability of affordable healthcare, six AIIMS-like medical institutes were announced for Patna, Bhopal, Raipur, Bhubaneshwar, Jodhpur and Rishikesh.
"The six states in which the institutes were established had requested the central government to make them operational urgently and to commence the academic session in September, 2012," the Statement of Objects and Reasons said.
The proposed measure will also help the Centre change the status of the six new AIIMS registered under the Societies Registration Act to be autonomous body corporate on the lines of the existing AIIMS in Delhi.
According to the Financial Memorandum, an estimated cost of Rs 4,920 crore -- Rs 820 crore per AIIMS -- has been approved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister