Lok Sabha polls likely in November, be prepared: BJP`s Rajnath
Mumbai: Lok Sabha Elections can take place in November, BJP president Rajnath Singh said here on Tuesday and asked partymen to be prepared for them.
"I believe the polls can take place even in November," Singh said, addressing party legislators here after visiting drought-affected areas in Marathwada region.
"There are also four states where Assembly elections will take place in October-November," he said. "Tough Assembly polls in Maharashtra are slated next year, we have to prepare from now on itself," he said.
"In Maharashtra, we are out of power for the last 15 years. A party, which was once in power in the state, if it continues to be out of power for so long, I feel it will pose a serious danger. People of the country will feel that these people won`t ever come to power," he said.
"If people lose trust in a party, it becomes a herculean task to regain that trust," Singh said.
"The government has failed on all fronts. People want change. They ask if BJP is ready for a change," he said.
Later, speaking to reporters, Singh said, "We won`t try to destabilise the government. We feel that no party should try to destabilise a government, because the people of the country bear the brunt.
"However, if the government goes owing to internal squabbles, then BJP can`t be blamed," Singh said. "It is in the country`s interest that the sooner the government goes, the better," he added.
Singh was presented a cheque of Rs 25 lakh from the state BJP unit towards drought relief. He asked party leaders to hand over the amount to the Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH