Lok Sabha polls: Narendra Modi`s seat to be finalised today?
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
New Delhi: After declaring 106 candidates in various states in the two lists released earlier, the BJP may announce the names of its candidates for over 150 Lok Sabha seats on Thursday.
Party sources said BJP`s top leadership, at a meeting of the central election committee, is expected to take up candidates for Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra and declare its candidates, PTI reported.
It is also being said that the seats of L K Advani, Narendra Modi and Sushma Swaraj, besides that of Murli Manohar Joshi and Jaswant Singh will be finalised tomorrow.
There has been wide spread speculation regarding the seat where the Gujarat CM may contest from. It has been said that BJP`s PM candidate for 2014 Lok Sabha polls may contest from two seats, namely one in Gujarat and the other from Uttar Pradesh.
As per reports, there is pressure on Modi by BJP`s rank and file to contest from Varanasi. Senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi contested and won from Varanasi in 2009 General Elections. It was also reported that Joshi was not ready to leave his seat for Modi and had conveyed the same to party president Rajnath Singh.
However, addressing the media on Sunday Joshi said that there was no internal strife in the BJP and that he would go by whatever the party decided.
The other seat where Modi`s name is being linked to is Lucknow. Former PM and BJP leader Atal Bihari Vajpayee contested from Lucknow in 2004.
Uttar Pradesh with 80 parliamentary seats is being considered crucial in Modi becoming the next PM of India and BJP coming back to power at the Centre after a decade.
The upcoming Lok Sabha polls is to be held in April and May, with counting of votes to be done on May 16.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'