Lok Sabha polls: Preneet hits out at Modi
Patiala: Slamming BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, Union Minister Preneet Kaur on Tuesday said it would be wrong to describe him as the "economic saviour" who alone can usher in prosperity in the country.
"It is a hype generated by BJP," she told reporters here.
The three-time MP said the so called "success story" of economic development in Gujarat is based on petroleum refining as the biggest SEZ in India is Jamnagar refinery, which accounts for roughly half of all exports from new SEZs.
Its location is in Gujarat because the state is closest to West Asia and it was commissioned before Modi came to power in the state, she pointed out.
Gujarat`s performance on supplying electricity and water is also hyped, she said.
Gujarat and Karnataka were at roughly similar levels in 2001, she said, adding today the share of rural households with access to electricity in Gujarat is 12.9 per cent while Karnataka has 14.16 per cent.
Rural households with access to tap water rose by 6.7 per cent in Gujarat while Karnataka outperformed Gujarat in this area of development, she said, asking voters not to back BJP.
She said the "Modi model" of development was not a reality and added that Congress has always stood for "all inclusive" development and was not a party just for rich industrial houses but for ordinary, common citizens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened