Lok Sabha polls: Preneet hits out at Modi
Patiala: Slamming BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, Union Minister Preneet Kaur on Tuesday said it would be wrong to describe him as the "economic saviour" who alone can usher in prosperity in the country.
"It is a hype generated by BJP," she told reporters here.
The three-time MP said the so called "success story" of economic development in Gujarat is based on petroleum refining as the biggest SEZ in India is Jamnagar refinery, which accounts for roughly half of all exports from new SEZs.
Its location is in Gujarat because the state is closest to West Asia and it was commissioned before Modi came to power in the state, she pointed out.
Gujarat`s performance on supplying electricity and water is also hyped, she said.
Gujarat and Karnataka were at roughly similar levels in 2001, she said, adding today the share of rural households with access to electricity in Gujarat is 12.9 per cent while Karnataka has 14.16 per cent.
Rural households with access to tap water rose by 6.7 per cent in Gujarat while Karnataka outperformed Gujarat in this area of development, she said, asking voters not to back BJP.
She said the "Modi model" of development was not a reality and added that Congress has always stood for "all inclusive" development and was not a party just for rich industrial houses but for ordinary, common citizens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar