Lok Sabha polls: Sushma to contest from Vidisha, Ram Kripal Yadav from Pataliputra
New Delhi: Former Union Minister Yashwant Sinha`s son Jayant and late Pramod Mahajan`s daughter Poonam were among the 100 candidates finalised today by BJP for Lok Sabha polls.
Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj will contest from Vidisha constituency in Madhya Pradesh, according to the list of nominees released by BJP which also fielded former RJD leader Ram Kripal Yadav, who joined the party today, against Lalu Prasad`s daughter Misa Bharti from Pataliputra constituency in Bihar.
The much-expected consideration of seats in Uttar Pradesh was not made in today`s meeting of the party`s Central Election Committee which will meet again on Saturday.
Today`s meeting decided to field former External Affairs Minister Yashwant Sinha`s son Jayant from Hazaribagh constituency in Jharkhand.
"The decision was taken after senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha expressed his desire not to contest elections due to his age and said he will continue to serve the party by remaining out of electoral politics," BJP general secretary Ananth Kumar said.
Pramod Mahajan`s daughter and BJYM secretary Poonam Mahajan has been fielded by the party from Mumbai North-Central constituency against Priya Dutt of Congress.
The party today finalised a total of 100 candidates in 11 states, including 25 in Bihar, 24 in Madhya Pradesh, 13 in Jharkhand, 14 in Kerala, 7 in West Bengal, 6 in Assam, 5 in Karnataka and 2 in Maharashtra.
This was the third list of BJP nominees and the first two lists had featured 106 candidates.
Lok Sabha Deputy Speaker Karia Munda will contest from Khunti (ST) Lok Sabha constituency of Jharkhand, he currently represents.
The party said the candidate for the Patna Saheb seat will be decided after consultations with incumbent MP Shatrughan Sinha. It added that consultations with him were on.
Former Rajya Sabha member S S Ahluwalia has been fielded by the party from Darjeeling seat in West Bengal, while Sumitra Mahajan will contest from her Indore constituency in Madhya Pradesh.
In Karnataka, BJP decided to field two close confidantes of former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa, who recently returned to the party fold after merging his own party. He had contested the assembly polls against the BJP in the state assembly polls.
While former state minister Shobha Karandlaje has been fielded from Udupi-Chikmanglur seat, sitting MP from Tumkur constituency in the state Gangasandra Siddappa Basavaraj has been fielded again.
The party has not declared its candidate for the Bellary seat even though sources said it has decided to give the seat to BSR Congress Chief B Sreeramalu, who will have to join the BJP to contest on its ticket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in