Lok Sabha polls to be a referendum on leadership, quasi-presidential: Arun Jaitley
Thiruvananthapuram: Amid mounting speculation over Narendra Modi being declared as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate, party leader Arun Jaitley on Wednesday said the upcoming Lok Sabha polls would be a "referendum" on leadership and well turn into a "quasi-presidential" contest.
Though he did not name the Gujarat Chief Minister or any other BJP leader, Jaitley said: "When the principal opposition party, which has a proven leadership, throws up a powerful personality, the elections could become quasi-presidential in nature."
Stating that the country had been "suffering hugely" due to leadership crisis under the UPA rule, Jaitley berated the Central Government for its "indecisiveness" and singled out Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the attack.
"The elections will also be a leadership referendum when people are disillusioned with a leaderless situation," the Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha said.
Asserting that the run-up for the elections has begun, he said, "the writing on the wall is clear....Rest assure that we will announce very soon...We are fully conscious of that."
Delivering a lecture on "the current political situation in the country" organised by the Aurobindo Cultural Society here, the BJP leader claimed "anti-incumbency is writ large on the wall" and the country was looking for a change.
Holding that the UPA had no answer to the challenge posed by the BJP, he said all that it could do was to rely upon the `dynastic leadership.`
"The UPA has no answer for this challenge. When the BJP has a proven leadership and from among them emerge a prominent personality, the Congress has only a dynasty to depend upon," he said.
He said "cynicism and despondency" had eroded the confidence that the nation had been enjoying as an emerging power before the UPA came to power.
"The political situation in the country is now moving into a certain direction where the cynicism will be converted into hope," Jaitley said.
Lambasting the UPA regime over a host of issues from `coalgate` to fall of Rupee, Jaitley claimed the singlemost failure of the Government was the "indecisiveness" of the Prime Minister.
"The Prime Minister has to be the principal political leader. Some time, he has to even take unpopular or difficult decisions. That is what all world leaders do."
Though as the Head of the Government the Prime Minister had to discuss issues and even listen to contrary views of colleagues, it was for him to take the final decision as the principal policy builder, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi