Lok Sabha Speaker lauds African women politicians
Kolkata: Conceding that there is a very low percentage of women in the Indian Parliament, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Saturday lauded the Rwandan Parliament for incorporating more than 50 percent of women.
Hinting that the number of women legislators should increase, she said: "I have 61 women in our Parliament - not a good number...out of 545, barely 11 percent...this is highest but I can`t say it with pride".
She was speaking at an interactive session organised by MCC Chamber of Commerce and Industry here.
Citing the example of Rwanda in eastern Africa, she said women in Africa are "empowered and more participative" in the democratic process.
"Women in Africa are doing well because they took part in the freedom movement when their menfolk were in jail. They took the command and that has really made them empowered...more participative as far as democratic process is concerned. In Rwanda (the least developed nation) they have 56 percent women."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video