Lok Sabha Speaker lauds African women politicians
Kolkata: Conceding that there is a very low percentage of women in the Indian Parliament, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Saturday lauded the Rwandan Parliament for incorporating more than 50 percent of women.
Hinting that the number of women legislators should increase, she said: "I have 61 women in our Parliament - not a good number...out of 545, barely 11 percent...this is highest but I can`t say it with pride".
She was speaking at an interactive session organised by MCC Chamber of Commerce and Industry here.
Citing the example of Rwanda in eastern Africa, she said women in Africa are "empowered and more participative" in the democratic process.
"Women in Africa are doing well because they took part in the freedom movement when their menfolk were in jail. They took the command and that has really made them empowered...more participative as far as democratic process is concerned. In Rwanda (the least developed nation) they have 56 percent women."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'