Lok Sabha Speaker to head Asia-Pacific region panel
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has been chosen to head a parliamentary panel of 27 countries from Asia and Pacific region, a statement said on Sunday.
Meira Kumar will take over from China the chair of the Asia-Pacific Geo-Political Group of Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU).
The speaker is currently in Geneva with a six-member delegation to attend the 12th assembly of IPU OCt 19-21.
The IPU is a platform of world parliamentarians to discuss basic concerns of humanity.
The Speaker said India believes in peace and harmony in the world and during the coming year her efforts will be to apply this basic approach to all issues which will come up before the Asia-Pacific Group.
Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha Rahman Khan, MPs KS Rao, Ramdas Agarwal, SK Biswamuthiary and Jayaprada are the members of the Indian delegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP