Lok Sabha Speaker to head Asia-Pacific region panel
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has been chosen to head a parliamentary panel of 27 countries from Asia and Pacific region, a statement said on Sunday.
Meira Kumar will take over from China the chair of the Asia-Pacific Geo-Political Group of Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU).
The speaker is currently in Geneva with a six-member delegation to attend the 12th assembly of IPU OCt 19-21.
The IPU is a platform of world parliamentarians to discuss basic concerns of humanity.
The Speaker said India believes in peace and harmony in the world and during the coming year her efforts will be to apply this basic approach to all issues which will come up before the Asia-Pacific Group.
Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha Rahman Khan, MPs KS Rao, Ramdas Agarwal, SK Biswamuthiary and Jayaprada are the members of the Indian delegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him