Lok Sabha Speaker to head Asia-Pacific region panel
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has been chosen to head a parliamentary panel of 27 countries from Asia and Pacific region, a statement said on Sunday.
Meira Kumar will take over from China the chair of the Asia-Pacific Geo-Political Group of Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU).
The speaker is currently in Geneva with a six-member delegation to attend the 12th assembly of IPU OCt 19-21.
The IPU is a platform of world parliamentarians to discuss basic concerns of humanity.
The Speaker said India believes in peace and harmony in the world and during the coming year her efforts will be to apply this basic approach to all issues which will come up before the Asia-Pacific Group.
Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha Rahman Khan, MPs KS Rao, Ramdas Agarwal, SK Biswamuthiary and Jayaprada are the members of the Indian delegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof