Lok Sabha Speaker to head Asia-Pacific region panel
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has been chosen to head a parliamentary panel of 27 countries from Asia and Pacific region, a statement said on Sunday.
Meira Kumar will take over from China the chair of the Asia-Pacific Geo-Political Group of Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU).
The speaker is currently in Geneva with a six-member delegation to attend the 12th assembly of IPU OCt 19-21.
The IPU is a platform of world parliamentarians to discuss basic concerns of humanity.
The Speaker said India believes in peace and harmony in the world and during the coming year her efforts will be to apply this basic approach to all issues which will come up before the Asia-Pacific Group.
Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha Rahman Khan, MPs KS Rao, Ramdas Agarwal, SK Biswamuthiary and Jayaprada are the members of the Indian delegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- B-Town celebs send warm wishes to Shahid Kapoor and Mira Rajput on birth of their daughter!
- UN council condemns North Korea missile launches, vows new measures
- PDP, Centre not on same page, meet between Mehbooba Mufti and PM Modi critical: Defence expert
- Diabetes drug may help prevent heart disease
- Kashmir unrest: Mehbooba Mufti meets PM Modi, hits out at Pakistan for openly fuelling tension in Valley