Lok Sabha speaker to meet leaders ahead of budget session
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan will Saturday meet leaders of political parties in the Lok Sabha for smooth functioning of the house during the budget session beginning July 7.
The session, which will last over a month, is significant as the Narendra Modi government will present its first budget July 10. The rail budget will be presented July 8 followed by the economic survey July 9.
During the session, the speaker is likely to take a decision on the issue of Leader of Opposition as the Congress is demanding that its leader in the house be appointed in the role.
The Congress, the largest opposition party in the Lok Sabha, has 44 MPs but the numbers are not on its side. A party must have at least one-tenth of the total strength of the Lok Sabha -- a house of 545 members -- to be eligible for the post.
The government is also working on its legislative agenda as some new bills and some pending bills of the erstwhile United Progressive Alliance government are expected to be taken up during the session.
During the meeting Saturday, the Congress and other opposition parties would apprise the speaker of issues they want to raise during the session that will conclude Aug 14.
Bills to replace ordinances promulgated by the National Democratic Alliance government are likely to be taken up on priority basis during the session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read