Lok Sabha Speaker to take decision on Lalu disqualification after sentencing
Coimbatore: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has said that she will take a decision to disqualify Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief and former union minister Lalu Yadav only after his quantum of punishment is announced.
Yadav was convicted on charges of corruption on Monday by a Special CBI court in Ranchi in connection with his role in the Rs 37.70 crore animal husbandry and fodder scam case.
Kumar, who was taking part in a Ministry of Commerce function here on Monday, said she was yet to receive a copy of the verdict.
“We haven’t received the judgment as yet and the quantum of punishment is still be to be pronounced on 3rd (October) I am told. After that, we will decide. Winter Session - we have still not decided on a date. It should be sometime at the end of November or early December,” said Kumar.
The Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief faces prospect of a jail term between four to seven years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September