Lok Sabha to have special session on May 13
New Delhi: Lok Sabha is likely to have a
special session on May 13 to mark the 60th anniversary of its
first sitting way back in 1952.
President Pratibha Patil is expected to inaugurate the
three-day celebrations where parliamentarians are expected to
discuss issues like Millennium Development Goals and the Human
"It is the brainchild of Speaker Meira Kumar. She thought
that issues which go beyond the daily bread and butter matters
should be discussed," Lok Sabha Secretary General T K
Viswanathan told PTI.
The Indian Constitution came into force on January 26,
1950 and following the first general elections, the first
elected Lok Sabha was constituted on April 17, 1952.
The first Lok Sabha met for the first time on May 13,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest