Lokayuktas demand powers of search, seizure
New Delhi: Lokayuktas on Sunday demanded more teeth to probe graft cases against public functionaries and emphasised that the anti-graft watchdogs across the states should be considered as an ally in good governance than an obstacle.
At the end of their three-day conference here, the Lokayuktas adopted a number of resolutions which included demand for giving adequate financial and administrative autonomy to them.
The Lokayuktas must be provided with adequate financial and administrative autonomy necessary for their independent functioning," Delhi Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin said.
Briefing reporters about the outcome of the All-India Lokayukta Conference, he sought powers of search and seizure for all Lokayuktas.
The anti-graft bodies must have separate investigating wings for their effective functioning, Sarin said.
Lokayuktas in a few states like Madhya Pradesh and Karnataka have separate investigating wings with teams of police officials headed by a DGP.
Seeking enhancement of their jurisdiction, Sarin said the conference felt that Lokayuktas should be given "powers of contempt" on par with courts.
The Lokayuktas also sought clarity about their jurisdiction as in certain states they do not have power to probe bureaucrats.
"It makes no sense to conduct a probe only against politicians if bureaucrats are also found to be involved in irregularities specially in the same transaction," said a Lokayukta.
The anti-graft watchdogs said they should be considered an ally in good governance than an obstacle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!