Lokayuktas demand powers of search, seizure
New Delhi: Lokayuktas on Sunday demanded more teeth to probe graft cases against public functionaries and emphasised that the anti-graft watchdogs across the states should be considered as an ally in good governance than an obstacle.
At the end of their three-day conference here, the Lokayuktas adopted a number of resolutions which included demand for giving adequate financial and administrative autonomy to them.
The Lokayuktas must be provided with adequate financial and administrative autonomy necessary for their independent functioning," Delhi Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin said.
Briefing reporters about the outcome of the All-India Lokayukta Conference, he sought powers of search and seizure for all Lokayuktas.
The anti-graft bodies must have separate investigating wings for their effective functioning, Sarin said.
Lokayuktas in a few states like Madhya Pradesh and Karnataka have separate investigating wings with teams of police officials headed by a DGP.
Seeking enhancement of their jurisdiction, Sarin said the conference felt that Lokayuktas should be given "powers of contempt" on par with courts.
The Lokayuktas also sought clarity about their jurisdiction as in certain states they do not have power to probe bureaucrats.
"It makes no sense to conduct a probe only against politicians if bureaucrats are also found to be involved in irregularities specially in the same transaction," said a Lokayukta.
The anti-graft watchdogs said they should be considered an ally in good governance than an obstacle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic