Lokpal: 2 former CJIs to appear before Par panel
New Delhi: Former chief justices of India M N
Venkatachaliah and J S Verma, who have written extensively on
the Constitutional status for Lokpal, will appear Thursday
before the Parliamentary panel examining the Lokpal Bill.
The two eminent jurists will give their views at a time
when Law Minister Salman Khurshid has said that the government
would be giving the Lokpal a Constitutional status and make it
more powerful than the Election Commission.
The Congress described the it as "a significant, very
important and a weighty proposal" which was made by party MP
Party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi, who heads the
Parliamentary Standing Committee on Personnel, Public
Grievances, Law and Justice, said it was for the Committee to
decide on the proposal.
Singhvi downplayed questions that the Law Minister`s
statement was not appropriate as it had come at a time when
the Committee was deliberating on the issue.
As regards question on the `right to reject`, he said the
Congress view was same as that of the Prime Minister Manmohan
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read