Lokpal: 2 former CJIs to appear before Par panel
New Delhi: Former chief justices of India M N
Venkatachaliah and J S Verma, who have written extensively on
the Constitutional status for Lokpal, will appear Thursday
before the Parliamentary panel examining the Lokpal Bill.
The two eminent jurists will give their views at a time
when Law Minister Salman Khurshid has said that the government
would be giving the Lokpal a Constitutional status and make it
more powerful than the Election Commission.
The Congress described the it as "a significant, very
important and a weighty proposal" which was made by party MP
Party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi, who heads the
Parliamentary Standing Committee on Personnel, Public
Grievances, Law and Justice, said it was for the Committee to
decide on the proposal.
Singhvi downplayed questions that the Law Minister`s
statement was not appropriate as it had come at a time when
the Committee was deliberating on the issue.
As regards question on the `right to reject`, he said the
Congress view was same as that of the Prime Minister Manmohan
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Rahul Singh takes blessings from poor on his B-day
- Dino Morea, Ranbir Kapoor flaunt football skills! - See pics
- BJP to go it alone in UP Assembly polls, Ram temple not to be on poll agenda: Mahesh Sharma
- Thousands flee IS offensive in northern Syria: Monitor
- Flipkart effect: Startups may lose sheen in job market