Lokpal: 2 former CJIs to appear before Par panel
New Delhi: Former chief justices of India M N
Venkatachaliah and J S Verma, who have written extensively on
the Constitutional status for Lokpal, will appear Thursday
before the Parliamentary panel examining the Lokpal Bill.
The two eminent jurists will give their views at a time
when Law Minister Salman Khurshid has said that the government
would be giving the Lokpal a Constitutional status and make it
more powerful than the Election Commission.
The Congress described the it as "a significant, very
important and a weighty proposal" which was made by party MP
Party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi, who heads the
Parliamentary Standing Committee on Personnel, Public
Grievances, Law and Justice, said it was for the Committee to
decide on the proposal.
Singhvi downplayed questions that the Law Minister`s
statement was not appropriate as it had come at a time when
the Committee was deliberating on the issue.
As regards question on the `right to reject`, he said the
Congress view was same as that of the Prime Minister Manmohan
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- PHOTOS: BRUTAL! Randy Orton receives 10 staples after Brock Lesnar's assault at SummerSlam
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya