Lokpal bill: Congress encouraging SP to disrupt Parliament, says BJP
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Balbir Punj on Tuesday said a section of the Congress party is encouraging the Samajwadi Party to disrupt the house when the Lokpal Bill is presented.
"There seems to be some sort of a fixed match between the Samajwadi Party and the Congress who have been working together in the Lok Sabha," he said.
Punj pointed out that the bill was a result of a combined pressure put by Anna Hazare, Baba Ramdev and the BJP.
"The bill is a result of a combined pressure put by Anna Hazare, Baba Ramdev and the BJP that has been voicing the people`s resentment against the rampant corruption in the government,` he said, adding: "We are waiting for the bill to come and we will support it."
The demand for a Lokpal Bill was seen as a revolutionary anti-graft movement, which in 2011 not only drew tens of thousands of Indians united against corruption onto the streets, but also stopped parliamentary proceedings and dominated the headlines for days on end.
But 18 months on, India Against Corruption (IAC) - a popular movement led by a group of the country`s prominent social activists - have split due to the decision by some members to move from activism into politics.
Hazare`s initial hunger strike had brought millions of sympathisers out on streets and forced the government into a series of humiliating U-turns.
The proposed bill envisages the setting up of a national anti-corruption watchdog to check financial mismanagement and corrupt practices that have deeply pervaded several democratic and civic institutions of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video