Lokpal bill: Congress encouraging SP to disrupt Parliament, says BJP
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Balbir Punj on Tuesday said a section of the Congress party is encouraging the Samajwadi Party to disrupt the house when the Lokpal Bill is presented.
"There seems to be some sort of a fixed match between the Samajwadi Party and the Congress who have been working together in the Lok Sabha," he said.
Punj pointed out that the bill was a result of a combined pressure put by Anna Hazare, Baba Ramdev and the BJP.
"The bill is a result of a combined pressure put by Anna Hazare, Baba Ramdev and the BJP that has been voicing the people`s resentment against the rampant corruption in the government,` he said, adding: "We are waiting for the bill to come and we will support it."
The demand for a Lokpal Bill was seen as a revolutionary anti-graft movement, which in 2011 not only drew tens of thousands of Indians united against corruption onto the streets, but also stopped parliamentary proceedings and dominated the headlines for days on end.
But 18 months on, India Against Corruption (IAC) - a popular movement led by a group of the country`s prominent social activists - have split due to the decision by some members to move from activism into politics.
Hazare`s initial hunger strike had brought millions of sympathisers out on streets and forced the government into a series of humiliating U-turns.
The proposed bill envisages the setting up of a national anti-corruption watchdog to check financial mismanagement and corrupt practices that have deeply pervaded several democratic and civic institutions of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM