Lokpal bill could create a `Gaddafi`: Thackeray
Mumbai: After targeting social activist Anna Hazare, the Shiv Sena Thursday came out strongly against the proposed Jan Lokpal bill, stating it could create a `Gaddafi` in the country.
"There is no need to create an impression among people that the Jan Lokpal bill will lead to `Ram Rajya` in the country. There is a need to strengthen the existing anti-graft laws to end corruption in India," party president Bal Thackeray said.
Toeing his father`s line in Thursday`s edition of the party mouthpiece, `Saamna`, executive president Uddhav Thackeray said that though his party supported Hazare`s anti-corruption movement, it was strongly opposed to the Jan Lokpal bill.
"It is being intensely debated over who and which offices will come under the jurisdiction of the Lokpal. But nobody is discussing who will have jurisdiction over the Lokpal. Lokpal could deal a serious blow to democracy," Uddhav asserted.
"It should not create a situation whereby we leap from the valley into the well. Until all our doubts in this regard are clarified, we shall oppose the bill," Uddhav declared.
Reiterating the party`s stance that parliament was "supreme" and that status should not be compromised in any manner, Uddhav said: "No institution can be above the Constitution."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!