Lokpal bill could create a `Gaddafi`: Thackeray
Mumbai: After targeting social activist Anna Hazare, the Shiv Sena Thursday came out strongly against the proposed Jan Lokpal bill, stating it could create a `Gaddafi` in the country.
"There is no need to create an impression among people that the Jan Lokpal bill will lead to `Ram Rajya` in the country. There is a need to strengthen the existing anti-graft laws to end corruption in India," party president Bal Thackeray said.
Toeing his father`s line in Thursday`s edition of the party mouthpiece, `Saamna`, executive president Uddhav Thackeray said that though his party supported Hazare`s anti-corruption movement, it was strongly opposed to the Jan Lokpal bill.
"It is being intensely debated over who and which offices will come under the jurisdiction of the Lokpal. But nobody is discussing who will have jurisdiction over the Lokpal. Lokpal could deal a serious blow to democracy," Uddhav asserted.
"It should not create a situation whereby we leap from the valley into the well. Until all our doubts in this regard are clarified, we shall oppose the bill," Uddhav declared.
Reiterating the party`s stance that parliament was "supreme" and that status should not be compromised in any manner, Uddhav said: "No institution can be above the Constitution."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened