Lokpal bill could create a `Gaddafi`: Thackeray
Mumbai: After targeting social activist Anna Hazare, the Shiv Sena Thursday came out strongly against the proposed Jan Lokpal bill, stating it could create a `Gaddafi` in the country.
"There is no need to create an impression among people that the Jan Lokpal bill will lead to `Ram Rajya` in the country. There is a need to strengthen the existing anti-graft laws to end corruption in India," party president Bal Thackeray said.
Toeing his father`s line in Thursday`s edition of the party mouthpiece, `Saamna`, executive president Uddhav Thackeray said that though his party supported Hazare`s anti-corruption movement, it was strongly opposed to the Jan Lokpal bill.
"It is being intensely debated over who and which offices will come under the jurisdiction of the Lokpal. But nobody is discussing who will have jurisdiction over the Lokpal. Lokpal could deal a serious blow to democracy," Uddhav asserted.
"It should not create a situation whereby we leap from the valley into the well. Until all our doubts in this regard are clarified, we shall oppose the bill," Uddhav declared.
Reiterating the party`s stance that parliament was "supreme" and that status should not be compromised in any manner, Uddhav said: "No institution can be above the Constitution."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday