Lokpal Bill eyewash, should be withdrawn: Kejriwal
Patna: Terming the Lokpal Bill approved
by the Union Cabinet as an "eyewash", rights activist Arvind Kejriwal on Friday said it will "patronise" corruption and should
"The Bill approved by the Cabinet is to patronise
corruption and an eyewash and should be withdrawn... it
betrays the aspirations and expectations of people fighting
against corruption," Kejriwal told reporters.
The government, he said, seemed to be in "grip of
"There is no provision in the bill to tackle scandals
like mining, CWG, Adarsh Society, and the cash-for-vote scam.
"Even the Lokpal Selection Committee will have
overwhelming representation by the government with five of the
nine members," Kejriwal, who won the Magsaysay Award in 2006
for activating the Right to Information movement at
He said some "corrupt ministers" prevented the Prime
Minister, who showed inclination to be brought within the
ambit of Lokpal, to be included.
Referring to reports of the government promulgating
prohibitory orders at all important places like Jantar Mantar
and India Gate in New Delhi ahead of protests against the Bill
on August 16 as announced by Gandhian Anna Hazare, Kejriwal
said, "It will be treated as murder of democracy as everybody
has a right to hold a peaceful demonstration.
"We are ready to face any eventuality for holding
protest as the structure of the Bill is wrong. If required we
will go to the Supreme Court."
The Union Cabinet yesterday cleared the much-debated
Lokpal Bill keeping the office of the Prime Minister outside
its purview notwithstanding incumbent Manmohan Singh`s
insistence on subjecting himself to its scrutiny.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!