Lokpal Bill is well thought out: Amartya Sen
Kolkata: Amid fiasco in Parliament over the Lokpal Bill and strong criticism of some of its clauses on Lokayukta by different political parties, Nobel laureate, economist Amartya Sen on Monday said that the anti-graft legislation is well thought out.
"I do not think personally the Lokpal Bill, as it came, is not well thought out. I have not seen a well thought out Lokpal Bill in fact... and maybe I have not seen," Prof Sen told a gathering here on the occasion of screening of "Amartya Sen: A Life Re-examined", a documentary on him.
He, however, said the real challenge would be to implement it in the democratic structure.
"But it is difficult to see how to integrate it without undermining the democratic structure and at the same time, making corruption easily to be dealt with by the judicial system. I think that is the real challenge," he said.
Stating that corruption was a huge issue in the county, Sen, currently professor of economics and philosophy at the Harvard University, said, "The solution to any problem of this kind has to solve it in the Indian context within the structure of our rule of laws and Constitution and our democratic political system."
The Lokpal Bill was passed by the Lok Sabha on the first day of the specially-extended three-day session of Parliament, while the Rajya Sabha debated the legislation but adjourned without voting on it on the last day.
Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress, a major constituent of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government, made a dramatic volte-face in the Upper House of Parliament after supporting the passage of the bill in the Lok Sabha.
The party said it will not compromise with the Central government over the Lokayukta clause in the Lokpal Bill as it "hurts the independence of states".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees