Lokpal Bill on govt agenda for winter session
New Delhi: The government Wednesday unveiled its legislative agenda for the winter session of parliament that includes the Lokpal Bill and Whistle Blower Protection Bill.
Talking to mediapersons, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said the session, starting Nov 22, will have 21 sittings.
He also said the government is determined to introduce the Lokpal Bill, which aims to tackle corruption in high places.
"Government is determined to pass the (Lokpal) Bill. Government stands committed to root out corruption. It may not be done through one law," Bansal added.
But he hoped the parliamentary standing committee examining the bill will be able to submit its report by Dec 1.
Anna Hazare has threatened to go on a hunger strike again if the government does not pass the bill in the winter session. Hazare`s hunger strike for a strong Lokpal in April and August this year made the government agree to his demands.
The minister also gave a list of 31 bills that the government intends to pass during the winter session that ends Dec 21.
Bansal also met chief whips of all political parties to discuss the issues they wanted to take up during the session.
"Political parties want to discuss issues like price rise, black money, division of states, energy security, corruption, situation in Afghanistan, earthquake in Sikkim and also issues concerning the farmers," he added.
"Government is ready to discuss all issues," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing